Thursday, September 9, 2010

Pookickers

When we first moved to New Zealand and came across Pukekos for the first time I was struck by the beautiful tones of their feathers, and the way they somehow manage to be elegant and clumsy at the same time!
 

Pukekos are also known as Swamp Hens, they are members of the Rail family, which also includes the Weka, Crake and the endangered Takehe, (which looks quite like a big, fat, well fed, lazy Pukeko!)Their chicks are tiny, navy blue fluff balls, that hop along behind the parent Pukeko oblivious to quite how adorable they are.
 My kids were only very young when we saw our first Pukeko, and misheard the name, then proceeded to fall about it fits of giggles at such a silly bird as the "Poo-Kicker" You can imagine all the conversations that followed about why they have such big feet! Anyway, the name stuck and in our house at least these beautiful birds will forever be known as Pookickers.
When I started creating my range of wall graphics, I had to make a Pukeko, and here he is, in my hallway now ready to greet all our visitors!
 To get a better idea of the size, here he is next to my shoes, and yes I know they need a good clean!
And one last photo of him, or is he a her?! I'm really happy with how he has turned out, and also with the quality of the vinyl, it was really super easy to apply, and is so smooth and flat on the wall everyone can't help touching it and stroking it, and saying how they were so sure it was painted on the wall!
If you would like your very own Pukeko leave me a comment here or flick me an email, (fantaildigitalart at yahoo dot co dot nz) prices are in NZD. The special introductory price for this size (400mm tall) is just $30 but that is just for one more week! (That is practically cost price, so they are going to have to go up a little!) Have a look at my other shapes and word art in my album here Wall Graphics all orders placed before 18th September will be at these special reader/follower introductory prices! :)

5 comments:

  1. Oh - he's so cute :-)
    I love the Pukekos and the way they look so gormless and how cute the babies are

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Pam,
    your Pukeko is gorgeous! they are one of my favourite birdies and we are lucky we have so many of them near our house with a stream across the road.
    thanks for your lovely thoughts over my way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! When I posted that my daughter said this blog is looking like a Pukeko overload what with the background as well! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL- I shall remember your name for them!

    ReplyDelete