Sunday, February 27, 2011

Christchurch...

I have been trying to write a new blog post for almost a week. Since last Tuesday, 22nd February. The day of the devastating earthquake in Christchurch.  
 Every time I decide to start, I stop. Before I have even started. It seems so pointless, so trivial to even try.
 No matter where in the world you are, you will have heard about the Earthquake in the news, seen the heartbreaking images, read the stories that make you weep. Here in New Zealand everywhere you go flags are at half mast, it is all anyone is talking about, everyone is stunned, wondering what they can do to help. Shops, churches, volunteers in the street all collecting donations to try to do just a little bit.
What can be said? Nothing I or anyone does can bring back those loved ones lost.  To sit here safe in my home, the sun shining, my kids playing, the worst of my worries what to cook for dinner tonight...seems so unfair, and I feel so helpless when others are homeless, suffering, coping with the loss of loved ones, homes, historical buildings.  The city will recover, the people will rebuild their lives and their city, but nothing will ever be the same again.  I cannot even begin to imagine what it must be like. Nobody can, unless they are there or have lived through a similar situation. Seeing blog posts and Facebook updates from the people I follow who live there, with photos and descriptions of their experiences make it all so much more real.


Yesterday I came into my lounge to discover a puddle on the carpet, a dark line on the ceiling where water was dripping through and  wrinkled bulging lining paper. Something in the bathroom above must be leaking through. For a few seconds I felt like bursting into tears, another thing to deal with, the cost of a plumber, the repair,  the worry of the damage done... Then I stopped. How trivial!  This is nothing, nothing at all. It is so insignificant it is laughable.  I have a house, working sewerage, running water, power, phone. I, my family and friends are all alive and well.  It suddenly put everything into perspective for me.


There are lots of organisations and charities doing their bit. You can of course donate through the Red Cross  or the Salvation Army by calling 0800 53 00 00. All ANZ Bank branches are accepting donations through the account number 01-1839-0188939-00
Vodafone customers can donate either $3 by texting 'Quake' to 333 or $5 by texting 'Quake' to 555. 
There are many others raising funds, but please, please be careful, it is sickening but true that there are those out there that would take advantage of the goodwill of people at this time, and scam emails, fraudsters and fake ids are all over the place. I can't say what I think should be done to people like that, they are the lowest of the low. It makes me feel sick and so, so cross. 
Here are a few ideas,if you want to help out in another way. There are of course many more legit charities and groups out there doing their bit too.
If you make handmade items you could consider donating something to Handmade for Christchurch. This is being run by the most amazing group of NZ women, all freely giving their own time and expertise to run fundraising auctions on Trade Me Regardless of whether you have anything to donate yourself, you are sure to find something there that you would love to buy, and with no guilt as you know every single cent of the purchase price will be going to the Salvation Army and Christchurch Womens Refuge.
 Li'l Magoolie is running a fundraiser Here 
Charity Auctions for the Christchurch Earthquake 2011 are also running auctions on Trade Me, with all proceeds going to the Red Cross. 
For those of you in the Christchurch area, know that the rest of us are all here behind you, sending prayers, strength and love, just wishing there was more we could do. Stay Strong. <3

5 comments:

  1. Dear Pam, I am feeling just like you, so helpless and sad, thanks for sharing the links, love and light, Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. So well said Pam.. definitely puts things into perspective for everyone.. thank you..
    Kath
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can guess how you feel about blogging. What can anyone say in the face of such disaster?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've expressed what so many of us feel. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete